6.02.2009

What a Day!!

The day started out pretty well. I picked up O so that I could take him and Maeve to camp. We were a few minutes late - no biggie. Then Brennen and I headed off to work. We were interviewing for an open position but knew I'd be back by 2:30 to pick up O and Maeve.
My office is 30 minutes from my home. I like to take HWY 40 home because it's the quickest and most direct route. I'm often told that I should be avoiding that road b/c it's way to curvy and dangerous - well, what these Kansans don't know is that I'm from VIRGINA and they don't really know the meaning of a curvy road until they've driven in Virgina! I remember when I would drive to work in Virginia that there was a mountain that I had to wind around and slow down to about 10 miles per hour just to stay on the road. And when I did home visits for the hospital, we had to take a 4 wheel drive out to some folks homes b/c the terrain was so bad. HWY 40 is a piece of cake.

Anyway, today my boss and I decided we should leave the office a little early and stop by another site to check it's progress. So we start out and pretty soon I hear something odd going on with my tire. I tried to move over - to see if it was just a spot in the road - but nope, it was my tire. Right next to me is the last gas station for miles, so I pull in. (Had I taken HWY 40 - there would have been NO gas stations....NO stores....NO anything. It's all rural).

By this time, I am SURE that I have a flat tire. I pull over, jump out and check. Yep, it's flat! I call my boss and she pulls over. Luckily she knows the area, so she calls the local garage. The guy is out in 10 minutes. We were all in the convenience store when he arrived. I ran out there to greet him. I felt kinda dumb, I mean - shouldn't I know how to change my own tire? Nope, I don't. Heck, I didn't even know where my spare tire was! (Hey, it's a new car - at least I know now).

So, I'm standing around, just watching this kid change my tire. I'm no help at all. I am pretty much useless watching him single-handedly change my tire for me...I'm serious...he SINGLE-handedly changed my tire. He only had one hand. So, I'm feeling pretty lame since I can't even find my spare tire and here is this guy with one hand - jacking up the car, removing the lug nuts, changing the tire by himself. This guy was awesome!!



I run back inside the convenience store to check what things my kid was trying to purchase. I say something to my boss about the guy changing my tire having only one arm. I thought she might know him (it was a small town). Well I guess you know who was listening because as we are walking back to the car, my son and I have this conversation:

Brennen: (rather loudly) He does have two arms!
Me: BE QUIET!!!
Brennen: but he does have two arms!
Me: Shhh. Don't say that.
Brennen: Why not? I'm only saying something positive. He has two arms, just not two hands.
Me: Can you please stop talking? NOW!

About 10 minuets and $10 later, we were on our way! Really, if I was meant to have a flat tire, I couldn't have asked for it to happen any other way. I'm so glad that I decided to go with my boss to check out that other site. I would have been stranded on HWY 40 with my kid otherwise, not knowing who to call or what to do. I didn't get back in time to get the kids for camp. Thank goodness for friends and cell phones!!

Needless to say, I'm getting new tires tomorrow. I hope they are done quickly b/c I really want to get back into the office tomorrow for the rest of the job interviews.

Maeve's swim team practice was canceled due to lighting/thunder so I took the kids to see UP in 3D instead. It was a nice end to the day.

No comments: