11.08.2007

They Said Something About Cookies



Here's a picture of an audiogram showing a "cookie-bite" hearing loss. Apparently, this is something I have. I was participating in a study a the University of Kansas. They were testing otoacoustic emissions (sounds generated by the inner ear). These are important because these are how one can test the hearing of a newborn. Anyway, I was a research participant and to get started, they tested my hearing. Technically, I don't have a "hearing loss." Technically, the student who tested me isn't an audiologist anyway. According to her test results, I am within normal range. I am however on the borderline for a mild hearing loss around the frequencies of 1000Hz. My audiogram makes a shape like this one. It looks as if someone took a bite out of a cookie. Usually, the audiograms will be sloping or a rising line. It would be straight across (at the top) for someone with no hearing loss. You can see from the audiogram with cartoons drawn in how different sounds are at different levels of frequencies (Hz) and noise levels (dB). So now the question is, do I go and get my hearing tested? What? Did you say something? I can't hear you.

No comments: